Thursday, April 8, 2010

Gmail

Was clearing up my inbox today, and was surprised by how well Gmail was designed. One of great things about Gmail is that it is so easy to start with. However, it also means that you do not have to go search for power options. But they are there....dig a little and you will find a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts which make managing email much easier. A couple of hours work, and:
Read + Unread: 10k+ -> 3.9k
Unread: 8.9k->2.6k

I really was abusing my inbox!!!

Having said that, at the finish of any good product is always a wishlist :) :
1. An option for me to set my own macros. Now, one of the downsides of allowing users to program macros could be not having a bound on the computation, that is, even if the rules we defined, one could always design a macro which would take up huge amounts of time. But if this were the only concern, Google could always provide this with Gears in the offline mode....
2. Views: When I was spring cleaning my inbox, I found that I had been subscribed to a whole lot of mailers I had no desire of getting emails from. Basically, email is a push model, and given that any person in my generation will spend an unhealthy amount of time reading emails, any content I can pull from the source, I would rather pull than have it pushed to me. But I also wanted to maximize my productivity and since the frequency of the email notifications from various sources differ, I wanted basically a view of my inbox which sorts by "most mails received from source", so I could just archive/delete those sources in one go. Underlying this is an assumption that you do not necessarily want to read every email that you get, but I think that is valid. Say, you were suscribed to the Newegg mailer, but having just bought a computer, you are out of dough and arent looking at those deals anymore. A couple of months later, you have no need to look at the weekly deals which are a month old....of course this would depend on whether people are proactive in keeping their inboxes clean vs how many people do a once a yr spring clean. But still, there are other reasons you would want a view of your inbox. If Google thinks this is a lot of computation, they can always provide this functionality only with Gears in the offline mode to shift the computation client side, but I think it would be a nice feature to have...
3. Labels: Allow me to merge and rename labels. Contexts change, what was important to me when I was in college back in undergrad is not as important to me now, and given I only want to keep track of a few labels, their granularities change. So, for example, if I was a member of the solar car team, and if I was a member of the computer society, I may have wanted to keep them as separate folders in the past, but given I can only spend so many hours a week reading emails, and that their email volume may have reduced since the programs died out or the people moved on or whatever, I may want to merge them a couple of years after since they have lost priority. I think merging labels is actually quite important.

What would be interesting to know is if&why these can (not) be implemented.

No comments: